This 2023 updated 6-hour home study course covers many different issues facing supervisors today in the rapidly evolving world of social media (and other technologies). This course also covers the use of live supervision in a community mental health setting. The home study course objectives are as follows:
- Participants will be able to understand the major elements of the ever changing landscape that technology represents to the counseling profession.
- Participants will be able to define the ethical parameters regarding technology as presented by the American Counseling Association.
- Participants will also learn about the different areas of technology and social media that supervisors should be talking about with their supervisees.
- Participants will be able to craft their own social media policy that supervisors can use in their practice.
- Participants will be able to identify at least three areas of ethical considerations when using telehealth and virtual supervision.
- Participants will be able to identify three emerging technologies in the mental health field.
Table of Contents
- Introduction – page 04
- Effectiveness of Live Supervision Techniques- page 07
- Live Supervision Techniques – page 08
- ACA Code of Ethics (Supervision, Training and Teaching) – page 11
- Tailoring a Live Supervision Protocol in a Community Behavioral Healthcare Setting – page 17
- Benefits of Live Supervision in a Behavioral Healthcare Setting – page 19
- ACA Code of Ethics (Distance Counseling, Technology, and Social Media) – page 20
- Social Media Policy Building – page 23
- In Focus – Sample Social Media Policy – page 25
- Employer and Employee Rights Regarding Social Media – page 26
- National Labor Relations Section 7 & 8 – page 27
- Policy Changes – page 28
- Cultural Shifts Influencing Provision of Services – page 29
- Then Along Came the Pandemic – page 30
- Ethical Considerations When Providing Telehealth and Virtual Supervision – page 34
- In Focus: Telehealth and Supervision Case Scenario – page 41
- Emerging Technologies (Compact Bill, VR, and Mental Health Apps. – page 42
- Conclusions – page 47
- References – page 50
How the Home Study Course Works
NOTE: THIS DISTANCE LEARNING COURSE IS AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE, IN ANY STATE, ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE DISTANCE LEARNING CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS. Advanced Counselor Training is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program. To purchase the home study course, click the REGISTRATION button and look for the “Home Study Course” titled “Using Live Supervision and Other Technology Issues in Clinical Supervision”. This is a secured, encrypted server to purchase the course safely online. Fill out the registration information and pay for the course. The course will be emailed within 24 hours (or if you prefer it can be mailed to you via standard snail mail and will arrive within 1 week of purchase). Read the distance learning course and answer the section questions. Put the answers in the score sheet AND fill out the home study evaluation and return them BOTH (both are necessary to get credit). You need to get a score of 80% correct to pass. Once received and scored a certificate of completion will be sent to you via email (as a pdf) or regular mail (depending on your stated preference), within 1 week of receipt. If no preference is stated a pdf copy of your certificate will be emailed to you, which you can print out for your file.
Does this home study course meet the needs of my states virtual clinical supervision education requirement? YES! This home study course covers the following topics: 1) Appropriateness of virtual supervision; 2) Handling clinical emergencies; 3) Best practices and informed consent; 4) Telehealth theory and practice; 5) Modes of delivery of supervision, including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)-compliant technology; and 6) Legal and ethical issues. Thus if your state requires a training in virtual supervision this home study course covers 6 hours of required telehealth and virtual supervision training focusing on those aforementioned topics!
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE – cost is $119 for this 6 clock hour home study course.